Wednesday, January 27, 2016

I Have A Mystery On My Hands! :)

 Typically, for my area, the Rufous is the hummer that choses to live in our yard come Spring and Summer. In the past they have arrived in the first part of March! :)
 As stated in the booklet, ... it's the male who arrives first. He comes to claim his territory and hopes it will impress a female! :) He's decked out in red, ...

 While she dresses in more conservative tones of cream, tan, black, and green! :)
 I have yet to notice any Anne's in our yard.
 However, I do notice their bellies are more off white than the Rufous.
 The booklet says they are a year round visitor to their area.
 So here's who has shown up at our feeder today. It was raining so I needed to stay under the eve of the roof, and couldn't take the camera any closer to the feeder while taking photos.
 It's possible that it could be a female Rufous, but only if she has stayed the Winter, as the males have not yet arrived.
This photo was taken before I put the zoom lens on, so you'll have to click on the photo to enlarge it to have a better view. This hummer was smaller and was off-white in color. (Flying to the left of the feeder.)
It's an unusual event in my yard to see these visitors. It's always been the Rufous who inhabit our yard, and the bright red males always arrive at the feeder first!
If these hummers are still here on our next dry day, I will take my Canon out closer to the feeder to get some better photos that may give me some answers. Until then, I have a mystery on my hands! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment