Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Unexpected ... ! :)

This year's garden experience was totally unexpected!
We never expected winter to hang on well into spring, giving us late frosts and temperatures too cool to warm the soil enough to plant seeds! -
Nor did we expect that Rud would be so busy with church responsibilities that he wouldn't have a single weekend free for 2 -3 months, (very unusual), which really set back the time frame for getting the deer fence built! -
We knew we had company coming, and that I was going to be taking a flight back to UT with them, not returning untill July 8th, but had thought the fence would be built, the soil warmed and 'tilled, and I would have it all planted before leaving! Of course things didn't go as expected so I ended up not planting a garden this year.
When I returned I knew it was too late to plant all the garden seeds I had planned to grow, (and I had a family reunion I was in charge of this year), so instead, I decided the smart thing to do was to get the garden ready for next year!! :)
The deer fence is up; I have all the seeds; the new row of raspberry plants, I planted this spring, are getting established and gearing up to bear their first fruit next year; and Rud 'tilled the soil so it will be easy to work up next year, and hopefully help us get an early start! :)
Instead of pouring over the seed catalogs this winter, I'll be laying out my seed packets, planning the lay out of the garden! I can't begin to tell you how anxious and excited I am about next year's garden!! It will have been two years in the planning by the time I place those patient seeds in the ground, and the wait only adds to my anticipation and excitement!! :)
So here it is August and instead of picking and bringing in produce, I'm looking at a garden that has already been "put to bed", which would have been totally unexpected, last spring! But I'm alright with it! I'm just looking forward to next year's garden, That Much More!! :)

2 comments:

  1. It made me sad to hear that you didn't plant a garden this year, because I always love reading & learning from you and seeing pictures of your home-grown awesomeness. However... it also made me feel a whole lot better about not having planted a garden myself this year. With Kannon being so young & demanding of my time, I just couldn't justify prioritizing my garden over everything else. So Next year we will both make up for it, right? ;0) Love you BJ!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know I'm in good company, Heidi!! :) We will deffinately make up for it next year!! I'll look forward to seeing your garden too! :)

    ReplyDelete