Saturday, May 14, 2011

Inexpensive Greenhouse! :)

I've always wanted a greenhouse, but they are so expensive that I just couldn't justify purchasing one! Then I noticed a poor mans' version in The Farm Store, and knew it was just what we needed, this year, if we're to have any chance of enjoying some ripe tomatoes! This one is 6' wide x 7' tall x 8' long! (They make larger sizes too!) Everything's a month behind this year, due to our cold Spring, and last year was almost as bad! I see a trend, and it may be that this little purchase may be a must for this, and future gardens!

Since yesterday was a dry, warm day, I set about the task of assembling the greenhouse! I had intended to construct it myself, but it was a 2-man job, and I appreciated Cal helping me put the frame together before he left for work! :) Then I set out the tomato cages to see how many plants I'd be able to fit inside! :)

Cal was going to help me get the heavy plastic mesh cover on it today, but I checked the weather report and saw rain expected, and set my mind to get it done, myself, before the garden soil got wet again! With determination I accomplished it! Then it was time to choose 8 plants and get them in the ground! :)


On one side I planted 4 salsa tomato plants, 2 Juliet, and 2 San Marzano! :)


On the other side I chose a fun variety of Big Beef, Heirloom Moskvich, Green Zebra, and Sweet Million! All are tomatoes I have to grow from seed, to have! :)


My plants are still babies, and so hard to see in these photos, that I took a couple close ups so you can see they really do exsist! :) This is one of the Juliet (Salsa) tomato plants! :)


This is Sweet Million, much like the Sweet 100 cherry tomato that I buy locally, as a plant, but in order to try the Sweet Million, which I've always heard is superior in sweetness and flavor, I need to grow it from seed! :)


So the assembly and planting is done in time, before more rain soaks the soil again! Now I wait, watch, tend, and hope for success for these little plants! :) The good news is that there are more just like them in my shop room, if these die on me! :)


All closed up and put to bed for the evening! :)


This little greenhouse has a door on either end, and two windows on either side, for those hot days when ventilation is a must! I think it's going to do the trick! :) Right now, the morning sun is shining on it, making it look like it's filled to overflowing and about to burst with the brightest grow light!! :)

Thanks to whoever thought of this inexpensive greenhouse and made it available for home gardeners, like me!! :)

6 comments:

  1. Hey Mel! :) These greenhouses are made by Jewett-Cameron Companies, in Northplains, OR! You can also view them at The small one, I have, is around $250., and can be rotated with the garden crops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fooey, it didn't post the site I wrote! I'll send it to you by way of Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your new greenhouse, BJ! It looks great! Can't wait to hear how well it works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far so good, Pat! :) The tomatoes I planted inside of it are doing better than the ones under the grow light in the shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's now 2014, and just in the off chance someone may look at this post, I want to mention that the mesh greenhouse has been well worth the purchase! :) Tomatoes grow and produce ripe fruit like no ones business within it's protective walls! So much so that I don't want to garden without it, now! :) I highly recommend it for home gardens! :)

    ReplyDelete