Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Taking Inventory In The "Nursery"! :)

Out of curiosity, I decided to take inventory today of the "baby" plants I have growing! :) Currently I have 35 various tomatoes; 32 various peppers; and 22 various cold crops (brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbages), for a total of 89! :)
Having worked in a garden nursery, you quickly learn that there are no guaranties when dealing with things that are alive. Things up and die on you, even under the best circumstances! With that in mind, I deliberately planted more seeds than I intended to grow! :) I didn't count on my unwillingness to sever the extras per plug, therefore dividing them and ending up with far more plants than I intended to grow! :)

There was supposed to be enough room for all of the seedlings under the grow lights! :)

So now my "nursery" is overflowing with "babies", that so far are all alive! So I'm doing my best to keep them that way! :)

Now if only our warm weather would get here, so I can be reassured that these little ones will be able to enjoy the great outdoors, once they are big enough to make the move to the garden!! :)

I'll be hardening a few to the outdoors at a time, and expect to lose some in the process. If I have more success than I think I will, and have extras, let me know if you'd like to adopt any of them! :)

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention the 1 little delphinium that is struggling to grow to be something! With it in mind, the correct total should be an even 90! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good one of them made it! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, one of the seeds you gave me, is alive! :) I hope it makes it to maturity and that we can gather more seed from it, in the future! :)
    I did buy a couple pkts. of delphinium seeds to try growing, in case the seed you collected don't make it! :) Since I am out of room under the grow lights, I may wait and grow them next year, instead. :)

    ReplyDelete