Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tomato Tots! :)

If you follow my blog, you'll recall that I over planted my tomato and pepper seeds as I was allowing for seedlings to die, and still have enough to plant in the garden. To make matters worse, I couldn't bring myself to sever the extra seedlings per plug, so divided the seedlings and saved them all! So far I've only lost one seedling! (Making a note to self that I need only start enough seeds next year for what I intend to grow!)
So, I had to make a decision! Either I plant them all, with hopes that the fruit ripens so I can make tons of salsa, or I keep a few plants and try to find homes for all of the rest, in order to use the garden space to grow other things! In the long run I decided it is easier to plant them than it is to try to find them all homes, - and I can't bare the thought of tossing any of them after babying them all this time! :)
As you can see, they've been growing right along in the greenhouse, and the ones I planted in the soil are doing better than the ones that are still in their pots!
In fact, they are all putting on flowers already, (gearing up to produce tantalizing tomatoes), so the time is right to get them in the ground! :)
So today Cal helped me ready the soil and get 17 tomato plants in the ground, (16 of mine, and 1 from the store)! You'll think I'm crazy, but I actually bought a potted tomato plant to compare to the plants that I planted from seed! This is a learning experience for me this year, and I'm keeping notes to see if growing tomato and pepper plants from seed is worth the effort! :)
There are still 11 cherry tomato plants waiting to be planted, as well as all the pepper plants! :) If anyone would like to have any cherry tomato plants, I am willing to part with the majority of them as I grow these for fresh eating and tossed salads, - not salsa! :)
There are two kinds, - Sungold and Sweet 1 Million! We sold Sungold at All Season Nursery and they are superb! :) The Sweet 1 Million are supposed to be sweeter and tastier than the Sweet 100 that I love, and as far as I know can only be had in the form of seed from the seed catalogs, so I'm very eager to try them! :)
Let me know soon, if you'd like to have any of them, as they have flower buds and are anxious to get in the ground! If I don't hear from anyone I'll end up planting them, as I don't have the heart to toss them and see any of them die! :) I've been babying them a long time so they are my "tomato tots", after all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment