Tuesday, October 7, 2014

We All Love Squash! :)

 As many of you know, I left for the birth of our granddaughter, in mid June, and due to our daughter then having heart failure, and needing her valve replaced, my 3 wks. turned into over 3 months! I was literally gone all Summer! I'm very thankful to report that Mommy and baby are both doing well now! :)
...
 When I left, this is what the garden looked like! :) We'd just had a late Spring shower, and the squash were off to a good start! :)
 When I returned, the squash had died back and was ready for harvest! :) Many Thanks to my Honey who watered all Summer for me, in my absence, and kept our garden growing! :)
 As it was meant to be a test garden this year, I even tried growing watermelon. From 3 types, we grew one iddy-biddy melon! I cut it in half, and we were pleased with the sweet flavor! However, I doubt I will take garden space to grow them again, as it was not a successful attempt. :)
 The winter squash, did very well, however! :)
 For some reason we only had one pumpkin grow this year.
 It is a Cinderella Pumpkin, and it grew to an impressive size! :)
 It was all I could do to carry it from the garden to the house! :)
 I planted a vast variety of squash and am pleased that they all did quite well! :)








 It wasn't until I carried them to the front deck that I realized just how successful our harvest has been this year! :)






 I love how attractive and festive they look! :)

 I bought this one pumpkin, and all the rest are from our garden! :)
 Even the squash sizes were pleasing, this year! :)
 The soil amendment I did to the mounds, before I left, seems to have worked well! :)

 I love the graceful curves and varied shapes and colors of winter squash! :)


 And when the sun shines on them, it always makes me smile! :)


 I won't be using as much garden space for growing squash next year, so we will for sure be doing taste tests and choosing our most favorites to grow again! :)

 They are all edible, so we should be enjoying rich, meaty squash all winter! Yum! :)

Since we only grew one pumpkin, we're still debating on whether to carve it or eat it! :)
I'm tempted to use this one for eating and purchase other pumpkins for carving, ... though a pumpkin This size Would make an Amazing jack-o-lantern! :)
...
Seeing the squash displayed makes us anxious for cooler weather so I can start baking these in our oven! :)
...
It does my heart good because in our family we all Love squash! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment