Sunday, May 23, 2010

Deer Fence Dream Comes True! :)

As any of you who know me, know, I'm all about gardening! For three birthdays, when asked what I wanted, my request was a deer fence! It's disappointing to put so much of one's self, and hard work, into a garden just to have it taken in the night!
So my dream man agreed to make my dream fence! :) I desired an 8' tall fence, since that is the height deers have trouble jumping over! :)
Together we went out and measured, squared, and marked the garden corners with stakes! We added roughly 6' of space to either side of the existing garden, as I knew it was needed for what I wanted to grow! Once the fence is up the space we have is no longer negotiable! :)

I think the space of the garden will be perfect now! :)

We needed to purchase 10' poles, since two' of them need to be underground!
We both love our perfect soil! I love it for growing things, and Rud loves it for how easy it is to dig! :)

So he cemented the corner posts in first! :)

We marked where we wanted the gates, and measured, and he put in the rest of the poles! My contribution was holding the leveler! Instantly I could feel the benefit of having extended the garden area, standing in the new garden room! :)

Next came the corner braces! :)

Rud cut the sod of the exteded area, so we could 'till and have the area ready to use! :)

Rud was unaware of me taking a photo of him at work! You may need to enlarge the photo to see him kneeling at the back corner of the fence! Here he was putting up the bottom roll of wire mesh. He came up with an ingenious way of doing this by himself! :)

These were taken yesterday, after he finished attatching the top roll of mesh wire! This, too, he found a way to do by himself! I confess, - he amazes me!!! :)
So since he didn't need my help, I potted up our two fig trees and placed them in the garden, and planted three small trees in one bed, and set up shrubs and perennials I will be planting soon in another flower bed! :)

So the sun sets on our deer fence! I feel a need to pinch myself to realize that it's still going to be here tomorrow and for a long time after!! The deer fence I've dreamed of, for so long, is now here in our back yard! Next Rud will be making the gates, but that will be another post! :)


5 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO DAD!!!!! Can't wait to see in a week and half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your comment to Dad, Sheana, and he smiled and chuckled! :) We love you and can't wait to see you!!! :) We sure enjoyed watching Troy and Brennan wrestling today, and Brennan doing his fancy footwork!! So fun!! :) XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty fancy. Now you don't have to worry about your hard work taken in the night. Good job Rud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anna!! I'm so pleased!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read this past post and discovered an error I'd missed. I can't believe I typed "deers"! :) It should read "since this is the height deer have trouble jumping". :) [shaking head and grinning] :)

    ReplyDelete