Monday, October 1, 2012

I suspect the long dry Summer, which is continuing into an equally nice Fall so far, has resulted in the tomatoes being greatly plentiful this year! I have 8 plants growing in the small mesh greenhouse, 1 Sweet 100 cherry tomato; 1 Roma;  1 Juliet; 1 San M'; 1 Moby Grape; 1 Big Beef; 1 Early Girl; and 1 Green Zebra! :)
I filled the garden tub with the biggest ones on the bottom and smallest ones on the top, to avoid crushing them! :) There was still more ripe fruit left on the plants, but I felt this was as much as I could carry! :)
We've discovered our favorite salsa is salsa freshly diced and served! With all the fresh summer flavors exploding in one's mouth, it's as amazing on chicken, or an omelet, as it is with chips or tacos! :)
And it's so easy! All it is, is ...

[Finely chopped tomatoes; green pepper; sweet onion; and cilantro, mixed together! A squeeze of lime juice is optional!] :)

It can last a week or two in the 'fridge but it never lasts more than one or two meals! :)
So next year I plan to grow only 6 plants, and focus on fresh eating! I'll be growing, 1 Sweet 100 cherry; 1 Juliet (for fresh salsa); and 4 Big Beef! :)
Juliet is so productive, one plant can keep us in fresh salsa all summer and fall! :)
The same is true of Sweet 100! We've more sweet cheery fruit to pop in our mouths than we can eat, so one plant is plenty! :)
Big Beef takes a little more time for the fruit to ripen, and is not heavy laden with fruit like Sweet 100 and Juliet! We love the huge, perfect fruit (both taste and appearance), so since I'll have the added space, I'll try growing 4 of them this coming year! They make the Best BLT's! One slice fills a sandwich! :)
If you care to see a photo of Big Beef, you can refer to a previous blog post I did about it. Sorry I can't remember if it was last year or the year before. I've grown Big Beef a few years now! :)
Hope you're enjoying garden bounty, too! :)
Tomatoes Anyone!? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment