Friday, October 12, 2012

We're Ready! :)

 When the first good frost came, quietly in the night, it was the signal that it was time to put the garden to bed.
 I worked hard for a week, getting it all pulled, pruned, and lifted so by the eve' of the first expected rain, I had it ready for my Honey to 'till, and help get the plastic down! :)
 Once 'tilled, we repositioned the green house in a spot against the fence in hopes of keeping it from blowing over this winter.
 I want to see if I can keep the soil within the green house dry enough so, come Spring, I have soil ready to plant the onions in! :)
Since a handful of onions that I planted last Spring decided now was a good time to start growing, I replanted them within the green house to see if they will develop into usable onions by next year! I enjoy a good experiment! :)
 The burn pile is at it's glory, when the garden's put to bed! :)
 The only plant waste items that haven't yet made it to the pile are the sunflowers ...
 That I temporarily tied to a post at the bird station for the birds to enjoy eating through Thanksgiving! :)
 There's something very satisfying about seeing the garden put-to-bed for the winter,
 And closing the gate! :)
 Next year's garden is already being planned out, in my mind, and in only a couple months I'll be pouring over the seed catalogs, placing next year's seed order! :)
We put the garden to bed just in time, yesterday, as the weather forecast was correct, and rain arrived this morning! No worries this year! We're ready! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment