Thursday, January 9, 2014

Plan B.! :)

 This is the time of year for gardeners to pour over the seed catalogs, study their garden space, and plan for the upcoming growing season! :)
Normally my table is packed full of seed packets, as I take stock of what I have, to see what I need! :)
Since this is the year I plan to do a lot of outside painting, among other tasks, it's necessary for me to cut back on the veggie garden! I just won't have time to do it all! But, ... my passion to grow produce has led me to a lot of thinking, and a plan B! :)
I will leave the black plastic down, to avoid the time consuming need to weed, and will cut slats in it to plant pumpkin and squash! Thus a harvest without all the work! :) I Know! Genius, Right!? :) I can use this year's garden as a seed trial, to determine which varieties are our favorites! :) It will be fun to give the space to the squash, try new varieties, and let them run wild! :)
 I think I'll lift an edge of the plastic and plant a row of yellow potatoes, too! We love German Butterball and ...
 Yukon Gold! :)
 There's an uncovered area I've earmarked for onions! I like to grow Copra for long storage! :)
 We also love Walla Walla for fresh eating, but since there's more in a bundle than we need, and large bundles are expensive, ...
 I'll buy these locally! :)
So this years garden will mostly be a squash crop! :) Yummm! :) Now that I have a plan in place, I can hardly wait for Spring, to begin! :)
Potatoes, alliums, pumpkins and squash, may not sound like much of a veggie garden, but in my mind it's a triumph idea as we'll still have produce, that we love, to look forward to! :)Something's Much better than Nothing! :)
While I'm painting on the house, and outside buildings, the squash can be growing in the garden with minimal care! :) I like this Plan B! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment