Thursday, April 15, 2010

First Attempts At Wildlife! :)

When I first knew I wanted my "Christmas camera", it was for the purpose of being able to take photos of birds and other wildlife! The photos that follow are pretty much (the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly), of these first attempts! :) I was lucky to be close enough to take this first clear (Good) photo of a tree swallow, before we noticed each other! Even so, the zoom lens came in handy! :)
Here's how close I was without the zoom! :)

This is one of the female finches! She's either the purple finch or the house finch, - I can never tell them apart! I just know these birds sing like they're rejoicing! :)

I managed to catch two females in the lens! I hope this photo enlarges when you click on it, for greater enjoyment! :)

I've been wishing I had the camera with me whenever I see the elk out in an area close to where we live! Rud took it with him one evening just in case the elk were visable and took some decent photos! We're still trying to learn how to keep some of the zoom photos from being grainy. :)

This (Bad) photo is grainy due to being taken from inside the house, through two pains of window glass! One day I hope to take a photo of the hummers outdoors before they zip away! :)

I always enjoy seeing Canadian Geese fly overhead! :)

I couldn't resist taking (Ugly) photos of these vultures that showed up! Turned out the lens had fog-like dust on it, from being out on the beach! I came in and cleaned the lens, but by then they had gone! I would have loved to have gotten clearer photos! :)
Who would have thought such an unattractive buzzard would have such graceful flight! :)

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool that there are elk and vultures by your house!! I'm not sure if I've ever seen a vulture. It still amazes me the wildlife that is in that area. When I lived at my parents house I saw a bear, deer, weasels, coyotes, and I once saw an owl which I thought was so cool. It was standing in our driveway right in front of my car when I was returning home one night. Photography is a wonderful thing, and with technological advances it can be experienced/enjoyed by most everyone. I also want to say you do a very good job of changing your background to fit the theme of your posts!! Your blog is very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comments, Anna! :)
    One of the first things we heard, upon moving here, was an owl hooting one late evening!"Hoo hoooooo. Hoo hoooooo." We stopped, listened, and grinned to each as a 2nd owl answered back! It gave us chills of joy listening to their ongoing conversation! Since then, we've heard, and even seen them swooping low across the property, many times since! It still continues to thrill us! :)
    How I love living in the country!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is one of the best things about living in the country! Some day I will be living in the country too. That is one thing I do miss about home. :D The owls,frogs, bats, and any thing else that we come across.

    ReplyDelete