Saturday, April 24, 2010

Happy Hummers! :)

I was sitting on the front deck experimenting with the zoom lens on my Sure Shot cam! :)
Here you see a male Rufous Hummingbird (red) on our left, and a female (green) on our right! :)

I was surprised when the male zipped right over to the female, and continued lapping up the nectar next to her! :)


I turned the focus of the lens to the feeder closest to me for a closer zoom! This is may favorite hummer photo, so far! :) If it enlarges when you click on this photo, you will even see his tiny tongue extending from his beak! :)


Don't they make the nectar look desirable and refreshing!? :)


From this angle I can't tell if this is a female or a young male. Since it's early in the season, I'm thinking it's a female! :)




I love how her green feathers shimmer! :)
When we first moved here we didn't have any hummers, which seemed strange to me since we are out in the country! Through the years I've planted many trees, shrubs, and flowering perennials and, between the landscaping and the feeders, we now have many regulars who come to our yard every year!! :)
They are great pollinators, like the many bees that come to our property, and they are my favorite bird, so I love having them around! :)
Since we've lived here over 16 years, I now have something in bloom almost year round! When the last expected frost has passed, I'll be planting a long row of flowering annual seeds in the veggie garden and, once they begin flowering, they can zip through the garden to their hearts content! I'll enjoy their company when I'm out there working!! :) One of my many pleasures is having happy hummers! :)

5 comments:

  1. BJ, your yard is amazing and those photos of the hummingbird and the tree..wow..so so beautiful! I'm jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I love your hummingbirds. I think I am going to see if I can get any hummingbirds to come to my home. I will always remember when I was on my mission your story of the hummingbird. Fun stuff. Love you mom! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you decide to buy a feeder for the hummers, go to Walmart and buy their First Nature hummer food! Hummers love it and it's easy to use, - no boiling water or anything! Just mix one part First Nature and 3 parts tap water! I mix up a 4 cup measuring cup, at a time, but you can also use a one cup measuring cup, if you need less! :) Soon you will have happy hummers too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shean, I just realized which hummer story you're talking about!! I nearly forgot about "Snitch"!! :) I wonder if Snitch is among any of our current hummers! :)

    ReplyDelete