Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tomato Talk! :)

The little seedlings are growing up and today Cal took a minute to assist me with my idea for getting them staked! :) Since this is the first time I've ever grown this many plants, and didn't have enough cages to go around, I needed to come up with an inexpensive way to give them support! Each has a tall bamboo stake, and today we put fence posts at either end of the two rows, and wound string around the rows, all the way up the posts! As they grow I will continue to check the plants, to keep them growing within the support of the string. This is an experiment that looks like it may work! We're feeling hopeful! :)
Since they are all indeterminate plants, and will continue to grow until it freezes, we staked them with continued growth in mind! :)
As well as being inexpensive, we think it actually ended up looking kind of nice, too! :)
Fruit is starting to appear now! :) Here are some Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes, growing within the row! :)
The "seedlings" growing inside the greenhouse are doing amazingly well, so far!! (Do you remember the photos I posted when I first planted them in the greenhouse, where they were so tiny they difficult to see?) They are exceeding the height of the tall cages now, and I hope the tall bamboo stakes will be enough to guide their growth to the end of the season! :)
There's fruit growing inside the greenhouse, as well! :) Here's the Sweet Million cherry tomato I'm anxious to try! :)
This is Moskvich, an heirloom tomato that's supposed to be very tasty! I'm more than willing to give up form for flavor! :)
The Juliet salsa tomato is proving to be a real winner, so far! If the fruit tastes as good as this plant grows, and produces, I'll be growing her every year her seeds are available for purchase! :)
... Who knows, maybe I'll even get brave enough to try my hand at saving my own seeds! I've come this far, learning how to grow tomato plants from seed successfully in western WA, so why stop here!? Maybe the saying is true, ... "The sky's the limit!" :)
Happy gardening everyone!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Just for the record, ... the idea for staking the long rows of tomato plants would have been more successful had we placed the metal stakes every two to three plants. The string began to give way once they grew to 5' - 6'. More sturdy stakes would have held the string in place! :)

    ReplyDelete