Friday, July 29, 2011

What's New In The Garden! :)

I had fun adding three new clematis vines inside the veggie garden, that in around 5 years time should cover this section of fence and add a lot of beauty to the garden! :)
It's been awhile since you visited the garden, so come on in, and I'll show you around! :)
I planted the vines according to height, with the shortest 8' clematis closest to the gate; the 10' vine in the middle, and the 18' one closest to the corner where it can have the added growing room to spread out! When in bloom they will invite the pollinators! :)
I added new lobelia for a little instant color between the vines, for now! :)
Something else that's new in the garden is the Caraflex Cabbage, that I'm growing for the first time! :)
We've already eaten one, and it was wonderful! :)
The Stonehead Cabbage looks good too! I'm hoping to let it get a little bit bigger before we cut into one! :)
This is what I call our "winter row", as these are the cool weather crops, and this is the first time I've grown them. It's also the first time I've used the row fabric. (to keep the white butterfly from laying her eggs that eat the crop.) :)
The Juliet salsa tomato plants continue to impress me! I'm glad she's new in the garden this year! :)
Big Beef is finally showing some new fruit coming along! :)
The blueberries are not new in the garden but ...
being so laden with fruit that the limbs are bowing, is new! I suspect the soil treatment I added for the cranberries, below, has given the blueberries a real boost! Time to start picking! :)
There's new squash finally growing! :)
Both winter squash ...
and summer squash! These patty pan are scrumptious fried with a little olive oil and cashews! :)
The thing that's new with the Walla Walla's is that they're finally getting big enough to start eating! As you can see, we used one last night with dinner! :)
We even used one of these red Torpedo onions, last night! They're new in our garden this year, and are tasty! :)
Now that I think of it, we have other things that are new to our garden, too, like the yellow German Butterball Potato! I can hardly wait for them to be ready to dig and try! There are other types of onions and leeks that I'm trying for the first time, too! Some of these first will be grown again, for sure! I tend to think of our garden as a testing ground, where we try new seeds and plants, and see how they do for us! If they grow well and we like the produce, they can become regulars, like the Walla Walla Onions, and the Kandy Korn! We've tried other corn in our garden, but keep coming back to this one! It's a winner for us! :)
So that's some of the things that are new to our garden this year! :)
Please come back again, for another look at our ever changing garden! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment