Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Ongoing Saga! :)

I have an ongoing saga with one of my flower beds! It's a pretty simple area, as flower beds go, as it's long and narrow, and never takes more than a day to weed and plant! :)
So what's the problem, you may ask? :)
I'll try to give you the short version! :) ...
When I first planned this bed, I envisioned a long row of colorful tulips, with little blue grape hyacinths in front! :) That worked for a couple years, and then the bulbs just disappeared! So I bought more tulips and replanted! The neighbor's chicken's decided to come over and scratch them to bits that spring as they started to push their new green stems! So, .... that Fall I replanted again! :) Nothing came up the following spring, so like a determined nincompoop I replanted tulips again that fall! I have a neighbor who loves seeing the tulips in the spring, when she drives past, and I was determined not to let her down! :) grin
Again, not one single tulip bulb, came up! So I decided to change my tactic! I bought a few imperial crown bulbs, (stinky) to discourage underground varmints, and replanted tulips and a few daffodils! :) The imperials and daffodils came up, but still no tulips!
So this Fall I planted all daffodils, and felt almost smug that I was finally going to outsmart my underground critters! :)
Now I have my new kitties, who recently discovered that long bed of soil, and started to unearth my flower bulbs from their latrine! :) So I scooped the bed clean of debris, re-hilled the soil, and put down fresh bark! :)
Already the bark is being disturbed and flung up against the garage by the kitties, so I will either have to continually maintain the bark in the bed, or give up all-together! :) ...
Give Up!? ... Not in your life!! :) ... There will be pretty flowers there, this Spring, if I have anything to do with it!! :) ...
Wish me luck, ... Lots of luck, as I square my shoulders and face off with - my ongoing saga!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment