Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Will The Stray Stay? ... continued. :)

Some of you may remember a post I did titled "Will The Stray Stay? :)". It was about our stray cat, Cali, who came and had her kittens in our garage, and found herself a home with us. :)
She, and her four babies, worked their way into my heart, to the point that I didn't want to part with any of them, so my loving husband let me go ahead and keep them! :)
As you know, when they were old enough I took them all to the vet' and had them fixed and vaccinated, and this has been their home ever since! :)
This winter we decided to move them from the open garage to the enclosed shop where they can hunt mice and be safe from the elements and night predators. They're free to roam the property during the day but I close them in at night.
After some time, Cali had begun to object about being confined at night, and then she disappeared. After being gone a whole week I thought the worst. We have owls, coyotes, and other critters around so I was amazed when she showed up one morning by the shop, waiting to go in and join the others! :)
I kept giving her affection, as she ate, amazed to see her calm and healthy! :) Wherever she'd been, she didn't look like she'd suffered in the least! When she lost interest in the food, I picked her up and pressed my nose into that sweet spot behind her ear, and kissed her repeatedly, breathing in her natural fragrance! :)
She remained for that day, that night, and half the following day, and then disappeared again!
This time I'm not fearing the worst, but rather thinking she's found another home that suits her better.
She waited until her four babies were grown before leaving us, and I'm grateful for that.
I've called our country neighbors, on either side of us, but she hasn't taken up with either of them, so her where-about remains a mystery, for now.
I won't deny that I miss her. She and I developed a real bond of trust, and she was my little buddy. I still keep my eyes open for her, even though she's been gone for a couple months now. One never knows when a stray may decide to return, longing for home. ...
For now, though, she's decided to go elsewhere. ...
So I guess the answer to that once asked question, is ... "No. The stray won't stay, but she will leave her babies for me to go on loving, and many, many tender memories that will continue to warm my heart and bring a smile to my lips when I least expect it! :) ...


2 comments:

  1. I think the answer is Yes this time she will stay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that she's returned, it's looking more and more like she's going to stay, Sheana! :)
    I'm so glad to have her back again!!! :) ... At least for now! :)

    ReplyDelete