Monday, July 13, 2015

Bird Station - Three Year Update! :)

 Just three years ago my hubby built the new improved "bird station"! :) The place for our bird houses and feeders, ... and vines! :)
 If you'd like to see it in it's beginning stages, feel free to scroll down to "BLOG ARCHIVE" click on 2012 July "This Year's First Summer Project!"
You can also find 2013 September "This One's Done!" to see how it looked when I'd finished laying the bark and had the new trumpet vines, and other vines planted! :)
 It's worth a look back to compare with how it looks today! :)
 The vines have reached the top of the station now and are doing well! :)
The other day I looked out and saw something red! To be sure, I ventured out for a closer look and sure enough the orange trumpet vine is beginning to bloom! :)
 I've been told it can take trumpet vines a handful of years to get established enough to bloom! :)
 Since I did not expect them to begin to bloom this soon, I'm quite thrilled! :)


 The clematis are doing better than I had expected as well! :)
 I wanted a red and a yellow trumpet vine at the bird station both for their beauty and for the hummingbirds! :)
 Their are a variety of seed in the feeders for the other birds! :)
 I wanted something at the bird station for the hummers, too! :) I've already been seeing them enjoying their new find! In time the blooms will grow in greater numbers and the hummers will have even more food sources to enjoy! :)
 At first I didn't see any signs of the yellow trumpet producing blooms yet. ...
 When I looked closer, I saw buds beginning to form on it too! My hummers and I have one more thing to look forward to! :)
 I've been debating about weather to plant another vine on the one mostly bare post, or wait and let the heavy leaf vine work it's way across and down it, as I'm sure it will in no time! :)
 It is a vigorous plant that gives cover for the birds! :)
 It has tiny blooms that are too small to take notice of, that put on these small berries! :)
 The most impressive thing about it is how vibrant red the leaves turn before they drop in the Fall! :)
 It also makes a nice green backdrop for the clematis to climb! :)




 I even love the frilly after-life of the blooms! :)
 The hummers are fond of the red blooms in a flower bed that's near the bird station! :)
 Now they will have even more available to them at the station, itself! :)
 The birdhouses are in use every year, as well! The tree swallows use them regularly! :)
Other birdhouses are used too, like this one currently hidden within the grape vines of the grape arbor! Through the open window I hear the lively little chirp, chirp, chirp of the babies within it right now! :)
So far the bird station has become everything I hoped it would be! :) The birds seem to agree! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment