Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Stellar Morning! :)

I'm a bird watcher, and sometimes do a head count to have an ideah of how many visiters are coming to the feeders! Through the years the numbers have increased as we've planted more and more trees and shrubs on the property, and more birds have discovered the feeders! :)
In the past the most Stellar Jays I've counted at one time have been 7 & 8! The other morning I counted an even dozen! This morning I counted 15 in the back yard, at once! 10 at the "bird station", and 5 in nearby locations! This unusually frigid cold weather has made them more attracted to seed and suet than usual! The birds need it to keep up thier body heat! The raccoons have been knocking down the feeders and stealing the suet, cages and all, so I've started just throwing seed on the ground for the birds!
The conditions have made it "A Stellar Morning"! :)

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what a group of Stellar Jays are called. Did you know its a murder of Crows? Creepy! Anyway, I'm jealous you get such nice visitors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missi, I'm THRILLED to see you on my blog!! :) I've always heard bird's were called a flock! I hadn't heard that term for crows! :)
    I also forgot to mention that these photos of the Steller Jays were actually taken through two pains of glass, so that's why it's so grainy! I knew if I opened the door they would all fly away! :)

    ReplyDelete