Thursday, March 25, 2010

Garden Talk! :)

I managed to get the onions planted yesterday! Two 15' rows of Walla Wallas, and one row each of Mars, Candy, and Copra! :) Walla Walla is our favorite sweet onion, for fresh eating! Candy is said to be similar, so we're trying it this year! Mars is a red fresh eating onion, we're also trying for the first time, that I'm hoping will be great in our tossed salads! Copra is my favorite storage onion! We're Still using the last of our Copra Onions from last year's garden, and their flavor is ideal! :) We like Copra for cooking, carmeling, and even fresh eating! :) They are smaller in size than the other onions, and hard to the touch. They can't be beat for their long storage life!
Here are a couple photos of the planned extension! Once the deer fence is up there will be no changing the size of the garden, so we thought it best to add more space to it now! I could tell by the way I had to cram things into last year's garden, and still had things I didn't have space to grow, that we needed to add more space to our garden this year! :)

We've added around 6' of space to both the width and the length, so I'm feeling it should now be about right! The blueberries will remain in the garden, and there will be more fruiting plants added, like raspberries, strawberries, and an Agria Grape! :)
I can't tell if the tayberry and raspberry plants I planted last year, lived or not! It's possible their roots may be alive and will yet push new shoots. If not, I will buy replacements. If they did live, I'll be moving them, to better fit the new size of the garden! :)
I purchased two fig tree starts last fall, too, but for now have decided to keep them in pots! They will be moved into the garden during the summer months, so I'll be happy to have added space to accommodate them, as well! :)
Having the deer fence up will not only limit the size of the garden, and the amount of things I can grow, but it will also limit how large the area is that I will need to work! Thank goodness for that, or who know How large I'd end up making it!? :) Seems I can always think of more things we need to add to our garden! :)
This size garden should be perfect now! :)
Who knows, maybe I'll even plant a few pots of tulips and place them within the safety of the deer fence! The pots would protect them from the gophers, (below ground), and the fence would protect them from the deer (above ground)! :)
Yes! That will work!! :) ... See why I always need more space!? :) grin

2 comments:

  1. "Instead of investing in a fence that is costly, I recommend using deer off. I use this repellent and it works great. The label says it lasts for 3 months, but I live in an area with more rain so I spray it about every 45 days.
    Here's the repellent I'm talking about:
    http://www.deeroff.com/advantage"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too late! :) The fence has been going up in my hubby's spare time and half of the fence posts are set in concrete now!! :) I will be doing a blog about it when it's finished! :) I'm excited about it, though! It looks attractive, and once it's complete, there will be no more worry about the deer in the garden! :)
    I will gladly try the "deer off" product you mentioned, on the hedges around our front yard! They won't be protected by the fence, and I've been looking for something that will keep them from shearing off the lower areas! Thanks for this recommendation!! :)

    ReplyDelete