Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Making Room For Stewartia! :)

When my friend, Vicki, and I were "nursery hopping" she introduced me to Stewartia! Vicki and I worked at All Season Nursery together, but for some reason I had never been introduced before! :)
When I saw the grace of this tree and listened to Vicki telling me about her white camelia-like blossoms in the spring/summer; it's red, purple, and gold fall color; and it's mottled, peeling orange, gray, and tan bark as the tree matures, for winter interrest - I knew I had to make room for Stewartia! Her full name is Japanese Stewartia! :)
Since there was no room in the existing flower beds I went home and pondered where she could go! I determined that by expanding one of the flower beds I could make room for her! The next day I drove back to the nursery, bought her, and brought her home with me! :)

The next step was to position the plants I'd chosen to accompany her! :)

Once I was satisfied I used the edger to cut out the shape of the extended bed; removed the grass sod; and proceeded to dig the hole for Stewartia! I was disappointed to hit riverbed rock at the base of the hole (it's probably the only place on the property that has river-rock down in the soil) and Rud helped me finish digging out enough of the rock to atleast have a foot of soil beneath her roots! I hope it's enough and that she will be able to thrive in this new location. I keep reminding myself that this spot is much improved over the pot she's been in! :)

Today I finished planting the rest of the plants and put down beauty bark! So now I've done my best to make her comfortable and I hope she makes herself right at home! :)

2 comments:

  1. B.J., that looks gorgeous! I'm impressed that you can do so much beautiful gardening by yourself! I wish I could see it in person. I hope she's happy in her new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pat! :) I wish you could see it in person, too, because that would mean you were here for a visit!! :)
    Thanks for your kind words! :)
    As you can see in this last photo, the grass is less green in this area of the yard! Thanks to digging that hole, and hitting river rock, I now know why. I hope I don't lose the tree over it. I'm going to be giving that area extra t.l.c.! :)

    ReplyDelete