Saturday, March 20, 2010

Mason Bees! Our new addition! :)


Ever since I worked at a garden nursery that sold Mason Bees, I've had a desire to buy some for our own property! :)
"Each bee can do as much pollinating as 120 honey bees! :) Mason Bees are often referred to as solitary bees because they do not have a social order like the honey bees and bumble bees. They do not have a queen or a hive and they do not make honey. However, they are perfectly happy making a nest right nest to each other. Mason Bees tend not to sting because they are not a social bee and do not have a hive or a queen to protect. Fortunately Mason Bees are not susceptible to the Varroa mite which has caused such havoc with honey bees all over North America." (These quotes are taken from the write up that came with the Mason Bee house I purchased, shown above!)
We use to sell MB houses made of wood that are shaped like the outline of a house, so there are other types that can be purchased! This was the only type offered at the nursery I bought it at! :)
We worked around the Mason Bees all the time, at the nursery, and never had cause to worry about being stung! :) Since I don't want the responsibility of the honey, or the worry of getting stung while working hives, - the Mason Bee is the perfect bee for me!! :)

If you look close you will see the skinny tube that I purchased of baby mason bees! :)
I bought it in Feb. and have been checking for activity from it, ever since! One day, when my sister was visiting, I slid the tube out, and we found it had split down one side and had a little round hole knawed through it! :)
Yesterday I saw one, (two to be exact), for the first time, out pollinating some grape hyacinths! I got so excited that I ran in and grabbed a camera!! :) You will need to click on this photo to enlarge it if you want to see it! It's a small black bee, the size of a fly! It's hanging from the bottom of the small blossom, in the middle of all the daffodil stems! :)

This one is hanging from the small bloosom in the center of the photo! :)

This one is easier to see! It's face is facing us, up-side-down! :)

This one is 'center photo'! We have a better side view! :)

I saved the best view for last! It was difficult getting any photos of them at all, as they would fly as soon as I tried to aim the lens at them! Cute little things!!! :) Even though we have ample honey bees and bumble bees frequenting our property, I'm thrilled about adding the sweet Mason Bees!! I've been adding enough trees, shrubs, and perennials, through the years, to have something in bloom when the bees are out! Of course I'll be adding annuals in the veg' garden too, so there will be pollen for all!! :)
Soooo little Mason Bees ... Welcome to your new home!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment