Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Scarecrows - Standing Like Sentinels! :)

So far so good with our motion detector water sprinklers - better known as scarecrows! :) As you can see the garden is growing under their watchful "eyes"! :)
To double the protection, we've set up two of them, following one morning when we found deer hoof prints on the corn end of the garden, ( where the water didn't quite reach ), as well as two bites taken, and dropped, from the tallest raspberry cane! Now that we have two scarecrows the entire garden is covered! :)

In order to have two active "water jets", we needed to buy a splitter, and we're good to go! :)

With the faucet right by the garden, it's an easy set up! :)

They don't look very impressive but so far they are doing the job! :) Take note of the row of strawberries along the edge of the garden! ...

They actually have leaves and are putting on their very first fruit, - thanks to the two black sentinels! :) Last year the deer came and ate their leaves as fast as they grew! At this rate, we may actually have full size plants by next year! :)

So far the snap peas are being allowed to continue to climb and grow! ...

As is everything else in the garden! :)

These yellow potato plants are getting mature enough to begin blooming! Once they've bloomed, they will start to yellow and fade! When that happens, it'll be potato digging time!! :)
Mel, this post was done with you in mind! :) Let me know how your scarecrow works for you! :)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Grace! :) It's a fun surprise to see you're checking out my blog! :) This time of year everyone's so busy that few people take time to leave comments and sometimes I think I'm the only one following my blog! :) I understand because sometimes I'm too busy to do posts on my blog! :) - Have I told you lately what a sweet person I think you are?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom! Things are looking great!! Keep out deer this garden is yours!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sweets!! :) After losing all but the corn last year, I'm SO READY to harvest the whole garden this year!! :) I can hardly wait to eat those veggies!!! YUM!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I am glad it is working for you! Who knows maybe by the time garden is ready to harvest. I will come vist. ;) Sorry I started laughing about it thinking of the story little red hen. Since I didn't help do any of the work but would be will to eat it. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! You're welcome to come share the harvest Any time!! :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things are looking beautiful! Our little bamboo sticks worked and we haven't had a chance to put out the scarecrow yet, but we will pretty soon. It's nice to see it's working for you. I'm just so impressed with your garden.

    ReplyDelete