Monday, November 16, 2009

S.O.S.! - Save Our Suet! :)

Last winter we had a real problem with raccoons stealing our suet from the bird station! If they had trouble getting the suet cages open, they'd take cage and all! One snowy morning I'd played detective and followed the raccoon tracks along our property, across the road, and into a thicket where I know there is a stack of green suet cages, - most of them brand new!! :)
I had to start taking down the suet cages at night, and putting them back up in the morning! It was an annoyance to both myself and the birds, who sometimes didn't get remembered untill mid day! :)
When the warm temperatures of summer came, the thieves left us alone and I was able to stop manning the suet! :)
They returned this fall in time to clean us out of our grapes, apples, and pears!!! They took most of our corn crop too!!
Then, the other night, when it froze, they turned their attention back to the suet!

This is where I found it on that fridgid morning! They were unsuccessful at getting it opened and I'm amazed they left it and didn't take the whole cage with them, as they often do! :)

They did carry it away from the bird station, however! Before deciding to leave it behind! :)

If you look closely you may see it lying between two small mole hills. If the photo enlarges, when you click on it, you should be able to see it! ( For those unsure how to return to the blog once the photo enlarges, just click on the blue "back" arrow at the top left corner of your screen, and it will put you right back at this spot in the blog! )
The last few nights there hasn't been any theft, but once the nights start freezing on a regular basis, I expect they'll step up their burglary again!
I'll be starting what Rud refers to as "The S.O.S. - Save Our Suet - Program"! I don't look forward to going out on dark, cold nights bringing them in, and rehanging them on those chilly mornings! It's enough to make me consider turning into an Annie Oakley, and reclaiming what's mine!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Man those darn raccoons! Well I am glad that they didn't take off with this one! Good luck with that! Love ya mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next day I realized they Had managed to steal the small new suet cage with new suet, And they'd knawed holes in the end of the thistle sock to eat the thistle seed! I've replaced both with new, but every morning I hold my breath when I look out the window at the bird station, wondering if anything's been damaged or stolen! Goofy things! :)

    ReplyDelete