Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer's Jungle Fever! :)

Well, are you ready to venture in to this overgrown jungle!? :) As you can see the indeterminate tomato plants have become a bit tricky to navigate through, but I think we can still manage it! We'll go around, through the gate, and enter the greenhouse from the other side! :)
The greenhouse is bulging these days! :)
Before we go in, - see one of the busy workers!? I see them pollinating the tomato blossoms all the time now! Since it's tight quarters, in there, I had to move all the flower pots outside but the bumble bees still spend as much time in there as they do out here! :)
You wouldn't know it, but I've already cleared this walkway three different times now, lifting and tucking branches! I think I will have to tie them back before long, to make walking through possible, in order to pick the tomatoes when they ripen! :)
Some of the branches are well over my head now, and are actually pressing against the ceiling! I'm not sure what they're going to do when they grow even taller! I may need to start pinching them back! :)
While, at a glace, it looks like there's nothing more in here than stems and leaves, there is a good amount of fruit developing, too! Here, I'll show you a few of them! :) ...
Big Beef;
San Marzano (salsa);
Sweet Million (cherry);
And the first bit of color showing, at last, with Sun Gold!! :) I'm trying to make myself wait until they're fully ripe and sweet, before I pop one in my mouth, but even at this stage they are very tempting! :)
I love the little insects that frequent the garden, like this little butterfly! :)
Doesn't this bumble bee look pretty with the lavender flower petals showing through it's wings!? :)
I've always loved the attractive look of vegetables! :)
The corn is now reaching over my head and the tassels are showing! :)
Now I'm dreaming of fresh corn-on-the-cob! :)
The raspberries are starting to bloom, too, promising a Fall crop! :)
And speaking of Fall crops, I'm nervous about the winter squash! They are a full month behind where they should be, for this time of year, due to our wet, cold Spring causing garden delays. For now they're growing, so all I can do is wait and see what happens.
The summer squash is finally producing, and we enjoyed our first zucchini casserole over the weekend! :)
The Sunburst Patty Pan is another summer squash I love! Wasn't it well named!? :)

Well, it appears we survived our "jungle" adventure! Who knows how it will look the next time you visit! As I said before, - the garden is ever changing! The next time you visit it could all be grown larger still, or perhaps it will be after it's all knocked down and cleared out, and the garden's been put to bed for the winter. ...
I do hope it's not the latter, though! I'm not yet ready to answer Autumn's call! I much prefer the joys of Summer's Jungle fever!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment