Saturday, July 11, 2009

Delectable Vegetables! :)

I Love Vegetables! They are pleasing to eat and to visually drink in! :) They are one of the most healthy foods and some scholars now say, instead of being 2nd ( to grains ), on the food chart, they should be placed first, as the most important food group! :) Either way, 2nd or 1st, they are a food group I have no problem eating and enjoying! :)
This was not always true for me. As a child there was a vegetable that I just Did Not Like, ... ONIONS! My Grandpa Flint used to try to coax me into eating them by telling me if I wanted to be a Flint I had to eat onions! All Flints loved onions, and I'm told my dear Aunt Jeannine used to stand in the garden devouring sweet onions, as a child, with tears streaming down and a happy smile on her face! :) ... As much as I wanted to be a Flint, I just couldn't bring myself to eat them. I didn't mind the flavor, but hated the texture, cooked or raw, and picked them out of my food! :)I would never have dreamed that as an adult I would develope a true love of onions, cooked and raw, and have a particular love for the sweet Walla Wallas!! :) Perhaps I have Flint in my blood after all! :) I have three rows of onions growing this year, - Copra ( a yellow storage onion ); A red onion from sets; and of course Walla Wallas for fresh eating!! :)

These snap peas are not yet ready to harvest, but they are getting close! :) The snow peas are blooming now and I look forward to adding them to some stir fries a little later on! :)

I love seeing everything growing and starting to produce the food that will grace our table! :)

I'm still watching for the first squash blooms to open! The vines are beginning to stretch as they prepair to produce! :)

The cucumbers are already blooming and putting on little fruits! :)

The little Savor Melons are putting on buds! The last time I grew melons they were delicious, but we had to fight the slugs for them! I hope we get to enjoy these this year! :)

The tomato plants in the garden have really grown and are finally putting on fruit! :) ...

The patio tomato plant that I potted on the front deck has still been trying to outperform the others! I'm hopeful we'll get enough for making a batch of salsa this year, if they ripen in time! If not, maybe I'll make some green tomato relish! :) Thankfully it's still July, and we have much of the summer, growing season, yet ahead! :)
Come On Veggies'! My mouth is watering just thinking about tasting them when they're ripe! :)YUM! :)

2 comments:

  1. I am sold!!! I hated weeding when I was a kid! Still not a fan... but your pic have sold me on the yummy food! When I have a spot of my own I will be making MY KIDS weed. ahhhh the circle of life I LOVE it:) Love you mom.

    ReplyDelete