Monday, July 27, 2009

Garden Goods! :)

It's time to share another update of the garden! I've already eaten a couple red cherry tomatoes, but most of them are green right now.
The Roma Tomatoes are putting on fruit as well! :)

So are the beef tomatoes! I'm anxious for that first beef tomato sandwhich! :)

This is one of many melon blossoms! :) If we never got to taste a sweet melon from them, their pretty blooms would still be reason enough to grow them! :)

These are the orange colored Sunshine Winter Squash! We LOVE their sweet meaty flesh! :)

Can you see the green pepper among all the green leaves? :)

The corn now comes to my waste and is beginning to tassel. I've noticed the first roots showing at the base of the stalks so it's time to hill up the rows! :)

If you look closely, you will see atleast four cucumbers in this photo! We enjoyed the flavor of the one we ate last week! Soon I will be slicing these along with some slices of Walla Walla Onions and soaking them in the fridge for a couple hours in a mixture of 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, & 1 cup sugar! This recipe never fails to please, and reminds me of my dear great Aunt Esther who always cooked from scratch! :) It was a recipe of hers that I loved even as a child! :)

Some like peppers hot, but I like them mild - like these sweet banana peppers! :)

So far so good with these pumpkins! :) I hope to see them adorning our front deck in 3 months!

This type is good for eating as well as for carving and decorating! :)

I hope this photo will enlarge when you click on it so you can see the bee that's in flight! :)

This is Blue Ballet, which is a smaller form of the hubbard squash. It's flavor is unbeatable! :)
If you've been following my blog, you know that the scrumptious Walla Walla is my favorite onion! :)

These snap peas are becoming a favorite in our family! We love frying them lightly with a little olive oil and carmeled onion! When you touch them with your fork they split and reveal the sweet peas inside! Yum! :) Cal even likes eating them raw, and Sheana does too! :)

We do the same with these snow peas! :)

These Bosc Pears will turn a golden-brown this fall and crunch like an apple when they're ripe!

Speaking of apples, - you can't beat this King! They're great for fresh eating, baking, and cyder!

These Concord Grapes make the BEST juice!! :)

The mixed morning glories are finally climbing up the garden gazebo! I'm anxious to see them bloom! They are a variety of pink, white, and purple! :)

I love the lemony color of this sunflower! I hope it'll enlarge when you click on it! :)

The honey and bumble bees have been active in the garden, promising us a harvest! :)

This year I got brave and lightly fried the small, closed summer squash blossoms as well as the zuchinni. I always see them do it on cooking shows so decided to try it for ourselves! They were good! :)

7 comments:

  1. I posted this around midnight last night as it was too hot to sleep. I'm afraid my mind was getting groggy and I made an error on my post! The mix I soak the sliced onions and cucumbers in is 1 cup sugar and 1 cup cyder vinegar! That's it, there is no cup of water! What was I thinking?! :) - It can be dangerous posting at that hour! :) grin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy reading ur blog mom. Along with seeing the updated pic. I can't wait to eat some of ur yummy food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BJ, you are very talented with a camera and with a garden! Love your posts! (this is Pat Bahr by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PAT!!!! :) I'm So Thrilled to see a comment from you on my blog!!! :) Keep checking in!! You made my day!! :)
    Shean Bean, July is coming to a close and I can hardly wait to see you in Sep.!! Be thinking about any meals you'd like me to make when you're here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMmmm, mmm, mmm! It all looks so good. And I'm learning a lot reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dolores!!! :) So fun to read your comments!! I know how very busy you are with those little ones, so it means alot to me that you've made the time to read my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one will see this outdated post but I need to write it anyway, just in case! I just made the cucumber/onion recipe, and I was right in the original post! It IS 1 cup water, 1 cup cyder vinegar, and 1 cup sugar!! :) Make sure the sliced cucumbers and onions are pressed down in the liquid while they soak in the 'fridge' for atleast 2 hours! It can be salted and peppered to taste, if desired! :) Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete